Lilypie

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Daddy's Look-A-Like...Mommy's Boy

"Oh, he looks just like his Daddy!" I hear it everywhere I go! When Hayden was born, Chris and I had not even seen him and the cord hadn't been cut, and the first thing my doctor said as she was pulling Hayden out (I had a c-section, by the way) was, "he looks just like his Daddy." Yep, that's right...even before Hayden had been cleaned up, my doctor could tell that he was his daddy's boy. Just about anywhere we go as a family, it is inevitable that a complete stranger will come up to us and tell us how much Hayden looks like his Daddy.

There remains a few people who don't see the look-a-like connection (EVERYONE sees the connection with the hair...how could you not?), and my mom says she OCCASIONALLY sees little pieces of my brother and I in him...but for the most part, that cowlick gives Hayden away. The only other look-a-like connection I've seen with him is with my two-year old nephew, Kristopher. Kristopher's hospital picture and Hayden's hospital pictures look very much a like.

I obviously think that my husband is very handsome, and I think Hayden would be lucky to look like him (I'm still excited to see those bright blue eyes...just like his Daddy). After all, nothing really matters as long as Hayden is happy and healthy.

Well, that boy may look just like his Daddy, but it seems as though I have a mommy's boy. I had heard other moms telling me (before Hayden was born) that "little boy's LOVE their mommies." This fact has always been evident to me in my brother's home, where Kristopher absolutely LOVES his mommy, Tracie. Even in the hospital when Hayden was born and Tracie held Hayden for the first time, Kristopher obviously didn't enjoy seeing another "man" in Tracie's life, because he quickly said, "want to push the baby off"...meaning he wanted to push Hayden off Tracie's lap. Rest assured...there were no mishaps in the hospital in which Hayden ended up on the floor, and Kristopher absolutely loves Hayden (especially pulling Hayden's pacie out of his mouth and putting it in his own).

It seems as though Hayden is carrying on the "boys love their mommies" tradition. Poor Chris! There are times when he tries EVERYTHING to get Hayden settled down, and he'll finally give up and pass Hayden to me. Within minutes of being in my arms or laying on my chest, Hayden is out like a light. Just the other night, Chris was holding Hayden, and Hayden was upset about something. I went over to put Hayden's pacifier in his mouth, and Chris said he had already tried that a dozen times. I put that pacifier up to Hayden's mouth, and he quickly took it and was asleep within a few seconds. Chris just shakes his head and smiles and says, "I don't know what you do that I don't do." I guess being his mommy is all I have to do.

On that same thought, I realized there weren't any pictures of Hayden and I on the blog. Chris has his "game day" pictures when Hayden, but I don't have any pictures with him. So, I'm including a picture of Hayden and I. Hayden is wearing my favorite outfit...a really cute set of Winnie the Pooh overalls that Tracie gave him. I tried to get Hayden to look at the camera, but he wanted to look at his mommy. I'm also including a picture where you can see his little overalls better...forgive the hair in that picture...I have to calm that cowlick down sometimes with a little water. :o)

By the way, we solved the "Mystery of the Fussy Baby" this past weekend. We put Hayden back on his el-cheapo formula, because changing his formula just wasn't helping. Anyway, I realized that when Hayden started getting fussy, I had stopped pre-mixing his bottles and heating them up and had started just making his bottles when he got hungry. Well, one of the things that comes along with making his bottles when he gets hungry is LOTS of bubbles when you shake the bottle. Poor little guy...those bubbles were hurting his tummy. Now, his bottles are made when he wants them, but they are stirred and not shaken...it keeps the bubbles away and makes for a happier baby! I'm so glad to figure that out, and bless all of you mothers who have chronically fussy/colicky babies! Two weeks of all that screaming and crying was about all I could take.

2 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

Hayden has a wonderful Mommy! Daddy too but you are right Mommies and son's do have a special bond!

Glad his fussies are worked out! I know you all will sleep much better now!

Anonymous said...

Chris and I are eight years apart, so I remember him as a baby very well. Believe me, he was also a Mama's boy. My mother couldn't go anywhere without him. If she got out of his eyesight.... OH BOY! He looks sooo cute in these pics. Can't wait to hug him again. Hope his shots went ok today.