Lilypie

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Safety First...First Fingernail Cutting

Safety first! Isn't that what every mom always says? (Well, maybe not my mom, but when you grow up in the country in Pelahatchie, MS, I don't think there's any such thing as safety when your idea of fun is chasing your brother around in the barn, catching crawdads in the creek, and jumping haybails.) But anyway, like I was saying, every mom wants to be like superwoman...flying around town ready to fend off anything and everything that might hurt their little one!

So, what does that mean if a mom hurts their child? Yep, that's right...I've officially made my child bleed for the first time. It was going to be a harmless adventure for me (being superwoman and all)...just a simple clipping of Hayden's fingernails. After all, he had started scratching his face and hasn't even had not one fingernail clipping yet...he's 7 weeks old today, by the way! First, I should probaby say that this was probably not the best time to choose to tackle such an adventure, since I didn't have Chris (I guess that would make him superman?) to help me. Not to mention that the mornings are Hayden's fussy time, and keeping his little fingers still long enough to cut them wasn't going to be an easy task. But, being the superwoman-like person that I was, none of this was an obstacle too big for me to tackle.

I armed myself with fingernail clippers (which humorously are even Safety 1st brand, by the way), placed Hayden on my lap, and I was ready to tackle this new adventure. Well, you can only guess what happened. He started wriggling all around and didn't want to keep his fingers still, but I was still determined. Clip, clip, clip. Hey, this isn't so hard. Clip, clip, SCREAM...and then little bitty drops of blood. It didn't really bleed all that much and didn't make him mad for too long, and I was determined to finish cutting the rest of his fingernails. I succeeded in finishing. Better luck next time, superwoman!

2 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

Hang in there Super Woman it gets easier!

Wonderful post-new moms out there every where are breathing a sigh of relief as even Super Woman missed on a finger nail trimming!

Lori said...

My mother still likes to remind me that I made Emma's fingernails bleed...At least they are too young to remember it! :)