Lilypie

Thursday, December 25, 2008

So Thankful...

It might seem like a weird title for a blog entry on Christmas, since Thanksgiving would be the natural time for reflection about being thankful. But, it seems right to me, because that is how I feel today. As I sit here right now, I am full from visiting family members and having lots of yummy food, and I am also brimming with thankfulness.

I am thankful for Hayden, our little gift from God. He is such a bright light during this holiday season and is such a reminder of joy that I can't help but smile when I see his sweet, happy, smiling face. Around this time last year, I knew I was pregnant, but it didn't seem quite real. It didn't seem real that such a special gift could be with us this year, and I had no idea of the love that I would have for the little baby growing inside of me. Shortly after Hayden was born, I had a short time (when certain things I wanted to work out weren't working out) when I got upset because I felt like I wasn't providing things that Hayden needed. During that time, God taught me that Hayden isn't mine. He is God's, and God has chosen to give him to Chris and I to take care of and grow under His loving wing. I hope I continue to realize this and that I remember daily to thank God for the gift that he has given us.

I am thankful for my husband, who has chosen me to be my life partner. Chris is such a wonderful man. We met on a blind date when we were freshmen in college, and the rest is history. We were engaged in April 2004 and were married in July 2004...a 3 month engagement, because we were READY to be married. During our first year of marriage, we were tested time and time again with one hardship after another, and basically, our marriage was either going to sink or swim during that trying time in our lives. Thankfully, that time only made us closer together and more determined to stay together and keep our marriage vows. I am so thankful for such a Godly man and to have such a wonderful friend and husband. And, he has given Hayden a wonderful Dad. It means so much to me to have Chris in my life. God sent him to me. I know He did. If you know much about our story, you know what I mean.

I am thankful for family and friends. We have just returned from what seems like a whirlwind of get-togethers with family, and I am so thankful for that time. These family members have performed so many roles in our lives and have provided us so much support, love, friendship, direction, and fun during our lives! In the upcoming days, I am going to be getting together with some friends I haven't seen in a while. God has sent so many wonderful people into my life. I am more blessed than I can ever deserve.

And, most of all, I am thankful for Christ, the gift that we celebrate today. I am thankful that He came into the world to become a man and to be the perfect example to us and show us what our relationship with God and other people should be. I am thankful that He came to die on a cross to redeem the sins that I commit daily. I am thankful for the grace that is given to us each day...just enough grace to handle all the hurt and hardship and confusion that will happen that day. I am thankful that when life seems to make no sense that we can rest in the promise that God is sovereign in all things. I am thankful that I have been given all the people and things that I am so thankful for, but ultimately, God is all I really need. Time and time again, people will upset and will come and go. If we place our hope and trust in people, we will always be upset. But, God is our constant companion and will never leave us. Is it hard to remember that? Absolutely! So many times, it is so easy to let people and things come before what is most important, but God continuously forgives me for being so selfish. Thank you, God, for sending your perfect Son into the world and for sacrificing Him so that we all (those who believe and accept Him as their Lord and Savior) might live in this world and look forward to a perfect world with no hardship and no sin.

On a different note...I know I haven't been the greatest at keeping my blog updated this month, but preparing for the holidays with a (now) 5 month old is more difficult than I thought. Anyway, I will be updating my blog with some events from the month in the upcoming week, so look back occasionally.

Merry Christmas! May your holidays be Merry and filled with joy!

2 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

Merry Christmas to you and I love your thankful post! It is a blessing to all who read it! Lots of hugs and love to you and yours! I can't wait to see your pictures!

Anonymous said...

God is sufficient. As the Bible says, "My grace is sufficient." He has blessed our family in so many ways that we can never deserve. To God along belongs the glory.